From: Mike Hunter on
But, but, but perhaps it was going DOWN a mountain? ;)


"jr92" <coachrose13(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:baf91ca7-6bf9-44fb-bd67-63d15651337d(a)d5g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...
> On Nov 8, 12:13 am, Hachiroku ハチロク <Tru...(a)e86.GTS> wrote:
>> On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 22:17:13 -0800, jr92 wrote:
>> > On Nov 4, 10:26 pm, john <johngd...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >> A Prius owner tried to resume her cruise control, and then the car
>> >> accelerated out of control.
>>
>> >>http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=8982147
>>
>> >>http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/RunawayToyotas/
>>
>> > I had the same problem happen to me many years ago. My '76 Pinto had
>> > the
>> > throttle stick wide open. After about 8 minutes, and a top end speed of
>> > about 67mph, I found a cotton field and ran it into it, slowing me down
>> > enough that I could jump out of the car before it hit a fence post. I
>> > wasnt hurt, but it cost me 94 bucks to replace the bumper that was
>> > busted,
>>
>> Could have definitely put that car into neutral, shut off the engine and
>> coasted to a stop...>
>>
>>
>>
>> > Point being, how the hell does a Toyota PRUIS "ACCELERATE OUT OF
>> > CONTROL" under ANY conditions?????????????
>>
>> I think the correct term is "Operator Error".- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> - Show quoted text -
>
>
>
> I think one could fall asleep, let his right foot fully accerlate the
> gas pedel, and drive five miles before the auto would reach dangerous
> levels, speed-wise, in a Prius.
>


From: Not Me on
jr92 wrote:
> I had the same problem happen to me many years ago. My '76 Pinto had
> the throttle stick wide open. After about 8 minutes, and a top end
> speed of about 67mph, I found a cotton field and ran it into it,
> slowing me down enough that I could jump out of the car before it hit
> a fence post. I wasnt hurt, but it cost me 94 bucks to replace the
> bumper that was busted

Lucky you didn't burn to death in the fuel fire Pintos were famous for.
From: C. E. White on

"Not Me" <Not.Me(a)Home.Base> wrote in message
news:neWdnXKt3Y2WbGvXnZ2dnUVZ_uJi4p2d(a)speakeasy.net...
> jr92 wrote:
>> I had the same problem happen to me many years ago. My '76 Pinto had
>> the throttle stick wide open. After about 8 minutes, and a top end
>> speed of about 67mph, I found a cotton field and ran it into it,
>> slowing me down enough that I could jump out of the car before it hit
>> a fence post. I wasnt hurt, but it cost me 94 bucks to replace the
>> bumper that was busted
>
> Lucky you didn't burn to death in the fuel fire Pintos were famous for.

While Pinto's may have been famous for this, it was not a justifiable
accusation. The facts are much different that the perception. Pintos were no
more likely to catch on fire that other small cars from the same era. Pintos
were the victim of a viscous smear campaign sort of like what is building
over this Toyota floor mat / cruise control / unintended acceleration issue.

Ed

From: Daniel Who Wants to Know on
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop(a)nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
news:elmop-D91696.07431308112009(a)news.eternal-september.org...
> In article
> <baf91ca7-6bf9-44fb-bd67-63d15651337d(a)d5g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
> jr92 <coachrose13(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think one could fall asleep, let his right foot fully accerlate the
>> gas pedel, and drive five miles before the auto would reach dangerous
>> levels, speed-wise, in a Prius.
>
> You would think wrong.

Correct. The car is electronically limited (not power limited) to roughly
105 MPH. If you floor it the car will accelerate to 105 and then hold there
at that speed as if you had set the cruise control.


From: Hachiroku on
On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 00:13:27 -0800, jr92 wrote:

> On Nov 8, 12:13 am, Hachiroku <Tru...(a)e86.GTS> wrote:
>> On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 22:17:13 -0800, jr92 wrote:
>> > On Nov 4, 10:26 pm, john <johngd...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >> A Prius owner tried to resume her cruise control, and then the car
>> >> accelerated out of control.
>>
>> >>http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=8982147
>>
>> >>http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/RunawayToyotas/
>>
>> > I had the same problem happen to me many years ago. My '76 Pinto had
>> > the throttle stick wide open. After about 8 minutes, and a top end
>> > speed of about 67mph, I found a cotton field and ran it into it,
>> > slowing me down enough that I could jump out of the car before it hit
>> > a fence post. I wasnt hurt, but it cost me 94 bucks to replace the
>> > bumper that was busted,
>>
>> Could have definitely put that car into neutral, shut off the engine and
>> coasted to a stop...>
>>
>>
>>
>> > Point being, how the hell does a Toyota PRUIS "ACCELERATE OUT OF
>> > CONTROL" under ANY conditions?????????????
>>
>> I think the correct term is "Operator Error".- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> - Show quoted text -
>
>
>
> I think one could fall asleep, let his right foot fully accerlate the gas
> pedel, and drive five miles before the auto would reach dangerous levels,
> speed-wise, in a Prius.


LOL! Not quite. They're actually pretty quick, because the DC motor
produces all its torque from 0RPM.